Besides the kids giving me a run for my money on the patience department today the most exciting part of our day was seeing the neurologist.
Chris's appointment today was to rule out any neurological problems that may cause his toe walking.
Let me remind you when I started this journey a few months ago I really thought everyone was going to say that it was nothing to worry about and he would grow out of it. This journey has taken us to a new level of loving our health insurance when I have complained about it for the last 7 years. I have also learned to be more compassionate towards parents who have kids with more serious problems then simply walking on the toes. I feel bad for the parents that have to subject their kids to so many doctors and even more tests that are unnecessary.
Anyhow, the neurologist basically said that his final diagnoses for today is idiopathic toe walking, meaning they have no idea why Chris walks on his toes. However he did say that Chris could suffer from a very mild form of Cerebral Palsy. If that were the case though the exact same treatment would be provided, but he doesn't think this is the case. (Does that sentence make sense because that is exactly what the doctor said...he could suffer from CP but it would be useless to do the test because he would get he same treatment, but I don't think he has it...you figure it out.)
However, here comes the bad part of toe walking. Since Chris told me before we ever saw a doctor that it hurt his back when he put his heals on the ground there is now room for concern. The doctor said that it is very rare for kids to have back pain and when they do it needs to be taken very serious. He said that a cyst could have formed on Chris's spine causing the toe walking. This condition is called Syringomyelia.
Since Chris only complained about it once we don't need to jump into action just yet. I need to watch Chris and listen to his complaints, then return to the doctor in 3 months. At this time we will determine if he needs to have a scan to see if he indeed has Syringomyelia.
Am I worried...no
Do I think in 3 months they are going to suggest Chris have the scan done...yes
Am I going to put Chris through the scan...I don't know yet
They are really going to have to convince me that Chris might suffer from this condition rather then just a precaution. I am seriously starting to wonder if I am doing more harm to Chris then good. I feel these doctors are so worried about being sued that they are covering all their bases and ordering tests just to be safe when they know they don't need to be done.
2 comments:
Whoa. Serious stuff. Keep us updated!
At least he is getting PT and hopefully it won't be long and he will be walking fine again.
Post a Comment