I took Chris back to see the Neurologist Wednesday morning. It was nice that Ken was able to watch Ryan this time. The doctor performed what I felt was a more thorough exam. I noticed that he spent a lot of time checking Chris's left leg, which is also the tendon that is more tight. He decided to run more tests. Again, I feel like these tests are to cover his butt. However, why not rule them out to prevent any future problems?
So Chris had blood drawn today to rule out muscular dystrophy and congenital myopathy. However, briefly looking up what these diseases are I would be floored if it came back that Chris had one. In my eyes he doesn't have any symptoms of either. So I am pretty sure the doctor just wants to be safe.
The doctor also wrote a prescription for different braces. He wants Chris to have braces that are flexible rather then keeping his foot in one specific position. I talked to Chris's physical therapist and she does not believe that Chris needs braces at all. She said that she would rather see him in night splits. She also asked for me to bring a list of providers that take our insurance so she can help me make a decision to best fit Chris's needs. I trust her more then the doctor because she has been working with Chris since August. She knows Chris way better then the doctor that we have seen one other time 3 months ago.
The doctor also scheduled a MRI to rule out Cerebral Palsy. I also told the physical therapist this and she immediately said that it was a possibility and tried to make me feel better about the situation. However, if it comes back that he does have Cerebral Palsy it doesn't change anything. Chris will still be the same kid. He will still go to school and learn, he will still play soccer this spring, he will still constantly be on the move, he will still play with his friends and he will still be Chris. However, I don't think that he has Cerebral Palsy.
After all these tests are done I think the diagnosis is going to be idiopathic toe walking. I am just keeping my fingers crossed that this toe walking is something that he can overcome because if he chooses to play sports when he is older I don't want him to have any serious heal cord injuries.
4 comments:
Not sure what to say, Beth. I know it all has to be scary!!!
No...just annoying. The kid is fine.
So...?
...buttons and be a tailor, Adam!
Post a Comment