The kids and I decided we wanted to hit Brecknock Park today and go geocaching. I found a kids cache on the website and decided this would be perfect. We have walked the trails many times before so from the description I knew around the area the cache was located.
We headed out and get to where the cache is supposed to be. However we couldn't find it. The kids were searching way out of the area the GPS was telling us. So I finally told the kids it was in a certain area and we were going to have to just start looking for it.
After bushwhacking and not finding anything Ryan gave up. I was dealing with him as Chris decided to leave the trail. Chris came running out screaming "Snake! Snake!"
He proceeded to tell me that he found the cache and as soon as he bent down to pick it up a snake lying next to the cache started slithering towards him.
I believed him because I have seen snakes previously while hiking at this park.
So very shortly after the incident it is decided that Chris is going to point to the cache and "Brave Mom" is going to retrieve it.
So I started walking and half way between the trail and cache I ask Chris where the snake was. Then I decided to ask him how long the snake was. He shows me about 18 inches and then tells me "now cut that in half and add that to the snakes tail." So basically I have no idea how long the snake is. Then he proceeds to tell me that he saw the cache, walked up to it, was about to start cheering, moved the stick next to the cache and found the snake.
So my next move as "Brave Mom" is to ask Chris if he is sure he can't grab the cache. He immediately moves behind me and I hear him say quietly "I can do this. I can do this. I am brave."
Then out loud "Mom, I can do this."
I handed him a stick to poke around the area to make sure the snake went and hid and Chris grabbed the cache. I was so proud of him. I couldn't believe that he saw I was nervous about getting the cache and he grabbed it! He really is a brave boy.
3 comments:
Yay Geocaching!
That sounds so fun! Is there a website that tells you places to go?
yep...geocaching.com
You have to sign up but it is free.
Post a Comment